International Film Festival Rotterdam welcomes applications for the 16th taking place during its 43rd festival edition (January 22 – February 2, 2014).
International Film Festival Rotterdam supports film making, film producing and journalistic talent on several levels: the main festival section Bright Future (including competitions for both features and shorts) presents recent works by first and second time filmmakers; Rotterdam’s Hubert Bals Fund contributes to film projects in developing countries and co-production market CineMart organizes a trainee project for young film producers (Rotterdam Lab) in close collaboration with its partner organizations. Recognizing the important role of film criticism to the perception of independent cinema, IFFR organizes a trainee project for young film critics.
The IFFR Trainee Project for Young Film Critics is a talent development program that offers up to three young (under 30 years), motivated and talented professional film critics from outside the Netherlands a chance to travel abroad to cover a major international film festival, to get acquainted with the Rotterdam film festival in particular and the broad range of independent cinema it offers.
The project was created in 1998 to open up opportunities for young and upcoming film critics to explore and sharpen their knowledge and views on independent and experimental cinema – and the festivals, like International Film Festival Rotterdam, that present it.
The program of the Trainee Project includes contributing to the festival’s newspaper Daily Tiger by exploring an assigned part of the festival; publishing a blog on IFFR’s website; taking part in expert meetings with experienced film critics and reporting about the festival for own affiliation(s).
What to expect
– Complimentary IFFR 2014 press accreditation
– Budget hotel accommodation in Rotterdam from January 23 – 30, 2014
– Partial refund of travel costs when traveling from outside Europe
– A full schedule. IFFR wants its trainee film critics to really participate in the festival and interact with other industry professionals. The trainees will form a team, hosted by the IFFR Press Office and the Daily Tiger editorial staff. You get to explore all aspects of IFFR (screenings, exhibitions, Q&A sessions, and debates) as part of the program and to cover for your own media
– If your participation is successful and you have published reports that meet IFFR standards (in both quality and quantity) you get the opportunity to visit the next edition of the festival as an accredited journalist
Criteria for application
– Age under 30 years
– Fluent command of the English language (written and spoken)
– Demonstrable experience in film criticism (print or online media)
– Not yet established enough to profit from facilities as attending international film festivals outside your country
– Have agreement(s) with relevant print and/or online media to publish reports on International Film Festival Rotterdam 2014
How to apply
Your application should include digital versions (Word, jpg or pdf) of the following documents and information:
– A motivation letter to support your application: explain why this project and the Rotterdam festival appeals to you and what you can offer the festival
– Your resume (CV) including your contact details and date of birth.
– Up to three proofs of recent work you published on (independent) film or film festivals. If not in English, provide the original articles with English translations to demonstrate your command of this language
– Information about your affiliation(s): title, name of chief editor, postal address, phone number, email account, periodicity, circulation, web address, estimated unique page views per month.
– A recommendation letter (on company letterhead) of your principal affiliation’s chief editor assigning you to cover IFFR 2014 and confirming that your report will be published.
– Please send in your application by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by land mail to IFFR Press Office, PO Box 21696, 3001 AR Rotterdam, The Netherlands. The deadline is Friday November 1, 2013. You will receive notificiation on the selection Friday December 6 at the latest.
Please note: if you are selected and participate in the IFFR Trainee Project for Young Film Critics, you agree that your work produced as part of the project may be published by IFFR in print or online in the festival’s publications and on the FIPRESCI website.