Deadline: on a rolling basis
Open to: worldwide internationals with respective level of expertise and experience
Grant: 5.000-15.000 US dollars
The National Geographic Society/Waitt Grants Program funds projects that require venture capital, supporting exceptional projects while foregoing a time-consuming peer-review process. NGS/Waitt grants are able to fund “proof of concept” research for applicants at an earlier stage in their careers than other NGS grant programs. Special emphasis is placed on expedited grant processing and turnaround.
The National Geographic Society/Waitt Grants Program supports a variety of project, that are generally not covered by other sources of funding. Waitt Grants Program will fund worldwide internationals who are able to show a commensurate level of expertise and experience, but are not required to have an advanced degrees to be eligible for funding.
National Geographic Society/Waitt grants are awarded on a rolling basis and range from U.S. $5,000-$15,000. There is no set quantity of grants awarded, but budget constraints keep the number to approximately a hundred per year.
- National Geographic Society grants may not be used for indirect costs or expenses not directly related to the project. This does not exclude salaries and fringe benefits.
- Funds may not be used for travel to scientific/professional meetings or conferences, legal actions, land acquisition, endowments, construction of permanent field stations or publishing research results.
- Grant recipients are expected to provide the National Geographic Society with rights of first refusal for popular publication of their findings.
You can apply for grant from the National Geographic Society/Waitt Grants program through the . The applicants should provide information about themselves, the project and budget. After you submit your application the selection committee will elaborate your application and project, and will make a decision within 10 weeks of application submission. Applicants planning work in foreign countries should include at least one local collaborator as part of their research teams. The selection committee will not consider applications seeking support only for laboratory work or archival research.
Before conducting the application, also note that:
- The application form can be completed in multiple sessions. You will be allowed to save your work to an online account and complete it at another time;
- You will have the opportunity to upload electronic copies of your curriculum vitae (CV), publication record, maps, images, and alternative budgets before submitting your application. Instructions will be provided. A copy of your CV is required;
- Please ensure that your browser is configured to receive cookies;
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please email email@example.com.
For additional information please visit the official webpage HERE.