Honors Internship Program
The Honors Internship Program is a 10-week, paid internship for college undergraduate and graduate students. While exploring our exciting career options, students work side-by-side with FBI employees at our Washington, D.C. area headquarters locations, or in field offices around the country. Open to a wide range of academic areas, this internship offers experiences students can’t find anywhere else.
The Honors Internship Program application for Summer 2017 opens August 26 and closes October 14, 2016.
Click here for the Honors Internship Program application.
To apply for the Honors Internship Program, applicants must:
- Have U.S. Citizenship.
- Attend a college or university full-time as an undergraduate (freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior), graduate, or post-doctorate student. Students are not eligible if graduating before the program start date; exceptions are permitted to students continuing their education in the following immediate semester.
- Have and maintain a 2.95 cumulative grade point average (GPA) or better at the time of application, throughout the application process, and the duration of the internship program.
- Pass all of the FBI employment background investigation requirements and be able to receive a Top Secret security clearance
The FBI is interested in applicants with a wide range of educational backgrounds. These include but are not limited to the following:
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- Foreign Languages
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Public Relations
- Visual Arts
While applicants come from a range of academic backgrounds, the most competitive applicants also possess the following skills:
- Strong analytical thinking abilities
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Take initiative and be self-motivated
- Work well with others and have strong interpersonal abilities
- Good judgment and decision-making skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
Intern assignments are based on the current skills needed in the FBI. As part of the application, candidates are asked to pick their top three desired field offices or headquarters locations, and these are taken into account during the selection process. To find the closest field office to you or view all of our locations, visit the Locations page.
Headquarters selections include the FBI’s main headquarters locations in Washington, D.C., as well as Quantico, Virginia; Clarksburg, West Virginia; Huntsville, Alabama; and Winchester, Virginia. Quantico opportunities include the Training, Operational Technology or Laboratory Divisions. Clarksburg offers opportunities at our Criminal Justice Information Services, Winchester offers opportunities at our Records Management Division, and Huntsville offers opportunities at our Terrorist Explosive Device Analytical Center (TEDAC).
Candidates who select Quantico, Clarksburg, Huntsville, or Winchester must have their own transportation to and from work, as no public transportation is available in these areas.
The Honors Internship Program is highly competitive. As such, FBI representatives select and interview the most qualified candidates based on academic achievements, area of study, life/work experiences, and the current needs of the FBI. Below is a more detailed timeline of the application process.
- August 26th through October 14th, 2016: Applications for the Honors Internship Program: Graduate and Undergraduate opportunities open.
- October 2016 through December 2016: Applicants are reviewed, selected and interviewed based on location choices, degrees, and current needs of the FBI.
- December 2016: Conditional Job Offers are extended and candidates begin their FBI background investigations. For more information on the FBI background investigation, please visit our Employment Eligibility page.
- Summer 2017: Internships begin (start dates may vary due to variations in the length of time of students’ background investigations).
Click here to apply to the Honors Internship Program posting for Summer 2017.
Honors Internship Program Forms
All applicants must download each form, fill them out carefully and accurately, and attach them to their application.