Deadline: 1 April, 2014.
Open to: students who are interested in” Nationalism, Religion and Violence”
Venue: from June 23 to July 3, 2014 in The Prague, Czech Republic
The Summer Seminar on Nationalism, Religion and Violence Charles University in Prague, International Hellenic University in Thessaloniki and supported by the LSEE, is ready to launch its second year. A key goal of the Sumer Seminar, taking place in Prague from June 23 to July 3, 2014, is to contribute in a substantial way to the study of violence and to catalyze the growth of the study of violence as a field.
- led by the best international researchers in the field
- bringing together lecturers from the most prestigious universities such as Oxford, NYU or LSE
- targeting students and graduates of Political Science, History, Anthropology, International Relations,International Law, Journalism and other related disciplines
- course for both undergraduates, (post)graduate students and activists
- taking place at the oldest university in Central Europe
The application process has already started!
Criteria for decisions on admission
- Your interest in the topic of the summer seminar (your field of study at the university, jobs and internships, volunteering, other summer schools, etc.)
- Your year of study (more advanced students are being preferred)
- Intercultural competence (knowledge of foreign languages, experience of living, studying or working abroad, etc.)
The tuition fee costs 750 EUR (payment deadline April 18, 2014).
This is price includes:
- Tuition (all lectures as mentioned in the program)
- Fieldwork trips (as mentioned in the program)
- Cultural and social events (as mentioned in the program)
- Weekend trip
- Reading materials (an on-line version will be at your disposal after enrolling)
- Refreshments available during the working hours
Discounts and fellowships are available for:
- Nationalism, Religion and Violence Summer School alumni
- Charles University and International Hellenic University students and alumni
- PRIO fellowships (for Cypriot and Norwegian citizens only)
- A number of fellowships for travel, accomodation and the waiving of tuition fess are available based upon merit and financial need
- To be considered for admission, you have to submit your application via e-mail to the Program Coordinator (Jiří Kocian) –firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The application deadline is April 1, 2014.
- Approximately 25 students will be admitted to the Nationalism, Religion and Violence in Europe Summer School 2014.
- Applicants admitted to the program are expected to participate fully, which means attending all classes and lectures.
- A very good level of English is essential for successful participation in the summer seminar.
The application e-mail should contain:
1/ Your CV (in English language).
2/ A document proving your enrollment in a college or university or your graduation. For example a confirmation letter/form issued by your university, copies of relevant diplomas and transcripts, etc. A scan or a photo of such a document is sufficient. It may be submitted in the language in which it was originally issued. If we need a translation, we will ask for it.
3/ Proof of your knowledge of English (if you are not a native speaker). We require at least the B2 level of The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (http://www.linguanet-europa.org/pdfs/self-assessment-grid-en.pdf). You will be asked to send us either: a copy of a language exam certificate or an official confirmation that you have passed a university course in English or another course in English at the required level. In the case you study/studied an academic program, which is being taught entirely in English, the document proving your enrollment or graduation will be considered as a proof of your knowledge of English.
4/ Letter of motivation explaining your interest in the summer seminar.
Reception of your application will be confirmed as soon as possible by the Program Coordinator. If not, use other contacts listed below.
Decisions on admission
- Decisions on admission are made according the rounds described below.
- After the application deadline (April 1, 2014), admitted participants will be informed and asked to pay their respective tuition fees until April 18, 2014.
- The possibility of a second round acceptance occurs in case of previously admitted participants’ unability to come or to fulfill their financial duties.
If you would experience problems with e-mail communication, you can also apply via post or fax:
Program Coordinator (Jiří Kocian)
Institute of international Studies
Tel: (+420) 251 080 250
Fax: (+420) 251 620 294
Nationalism, Religion and Violence in Europe Summer School 2014
Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences
Smetanovo nabrezi 6
CZ-110 00 Praha 1
For further information, please visit the official website.