Deadline: 5 December 2014
Open to: students, professionals and experts
Scholarship: EIUC provides large possibility of tuition waivers.
The European Inter-University Centre for Human Rights and Democratisation (EIUC) opens applications for the new Master in Democratic Governance- Democracy and Human Rights in the MENA Region ().
- DE.MA was created thanks to the support of the European Union and of the Danish Institute for Human Rights. It is based on a partnership between EIUC and the following universities: Cadi Ayyad University (Marrakech, Morocco), International University of Rabat (Rabat, Morocco), Carthage University (Tunis, Tunisia), Birzeit University (Birzeit, Palestine), St Joseph University (Beirut, Lebanon), Ca’ Foscari University (Venice, Italy).
- DE.MA is unique in its nature for its features and objectives. It is open to professionals and licensed students. It will combine a theoretical and practical approach and it will deliver a joint Master’s degree from both Ca’ Foscari University in Venice and Cadi Ayyad University in Marrakech, Morocco. DE.MA is a multidisciplinary curriculum offering courses in law, political science, sociology and other fields relevant to the study of democratic governance and Human Rights. The first semester from January to April 2015 is held at the premises of EIUC in Venice, while the second one from April to July 2015 takes place in one of the partner universities in the Master’s Consortium.
- DE.MA is meant to play an active role in the ongoing debate about the principles underpinning the transition of political regimes to democracy.
It aims to:
- Create high-profile experts in the fields of democratic governance and the protection of human rights, allowing them to act as promoters of a process leading to the affirmation of the democratic principles;
- Foster the creation of an élite group of people in the promotion of democratic institutions;
- Build a network of experts in political institutions, in national and international, governmental and non-governmental organisations in the Region.
The presence of academics, professionals and students from different countries, coupled with the knowledge-sharing and the international mobility, make this Master a unique and excellent opportunity to get an in-depth knowledge and to build up skills in the field of democratic governance and human rights. Moreover, participants will be plunged in a truly international environment and they will be part of a Mediterranean network of high-level faculty, experts and prestigious international partners.
Applicants are required to hold a university degree of a high standard in a field relevant to democracy and human rights of minimum 180 ECTS or equivalent (Bachelor/General Degree). Additional studies and relevant experience in the area of human rights are an asset. Fluency in English and knowledge of Arabic is highly recommended.
EIUC provides large possibility of tuition waivers, and grants covering most of the accommodation and subsistence costs during the first and second semester. Furthermore, all participants will be supported with finding accommodation and with administrative procedures for getting the visa.
Only applications submitted with the form provided below will be accepted.
The entire application, including the motivation and the CV, has to be submitted in English.
Please also include a non-certified English translation of the required proofs, if the original certificates were not issued in English, French, Spanish or Italian.
Applications will be processed on an on-going basis. The sooner you send your application the more chances you will have to be accepted in the Master in Democratic Governance.
Deadline is 5th December 2014.
In order to apply, .
If you have any questions, check the or write to: DE.MA Secretariat