Deadline: 15 September 2015
Open to: undergraduate students in final year of their studies or graduates with college or university degree in of acceptable standing in the field of science, engineering or information technology
Scholarship: all tuition fees, all required textbooks, laptop, housing, monthly stipend, health insurance, return ticket
is an intergovernmental organisation dedicated to renewable energy. In accordance with its Statute, IRENA’s objective is to “promote the widespread and increased adoption and the sustainable use of all forms of renewable energy. This concerns all forms of energy produced from renewable sources in a sustainable manner and includes bioenergy, geothermal energy, hydropower, ocean, solar and wind energy. As of December 2012, the membership of IRENA comprised 159 states and the European Union (EU), out of which 103 states and the EU have ratified the Statute. In an effort to support promising students in their academic development towards a renewable energy career path, the IRENA Scholarship Programme awards up to 20 highly-accomplished applicants annually with scholarships for the Masdar Institute. Applicants for the IRENA Scholarship Programme may choose from any of the eight MSc programmes offered at the Masdar Institute.
, the first research-based institute in the Gulf region specialising in advanced energy and sustainable technologies, policies, and systems, was created in 2009 in collaboration with the Massachusetts Institute of Science and Technology (MIT). It provides eight Master of Science (MSc) programmes at their campus located in Masdar City in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UAE):
- Chemical Engineering;
- Computing and Information Science;
- Electrical Power Engineering;
- Engineering Systems and Management;
- Materials Science and Engineering;
- Mechanical Engineering;
- Microsystems Engineering;
- Water and Environmental Engineering.
- Relevant undergraduate degree from a college, university or technical college of acceptable standing in the field of science, engineering, information technology or undergraduate students in final year of their studies;
- Minimum CGPA of 3.0 on a scale of 4.0;
- Competence in spoken and written English. Minimum TOEFL score of 91 (IBT). Minimum academic IELTS score of 6.5;
- Minimum GRE quantitative score of 700 (or 155 on the new scale);
- Academic record and credentials must indicate the ability to achieve distinction;
- Desired specialisation within the chosen MSc programme;
- Knowledge already acquired in the field of renewable energy;
- Relevant professional engagements or experience;
- In case of equal aptitude, priority will be given to applicants from developing countries;
- IRENA scholars have to pursue a research topic and to complete a Master’s thesis in the field of renewable energy and technology in line with IRENA’s mandate.
The IRENA Scholarship benefits include the following:
- 100% of all tuition fees;
- All required textbooks;
- A laptop;
- Monthly stipend;
- Health insurance;
- Annual return ticket home if applicable;
- Possibility for first-hand experience with IRENA through an internship;
- Excellent networking potential;
- Exclusive access to IRENA Lecture Program.
How to apply?
Applicants are required to fill in the and submit the following documents in PDF, MS Word or JPF format. Do not upload RAR or ZIP files:
- Copy of undergraduate/graduate transcripts;
- Statement of Objectives;
- Copy of GRE and TOEFL (or IELTS) scores;
- Copy of CV (including education, list of publications, awards, professional experience, etc.);
- Name and email address of 3 referees (preferably university/professional email addresses and not common Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc., addresses);
- It is important that candidates indicate their specific interest in the IRENA Scholarship Programme on Masdar Institute’s online application form and select the appropriate box when submitting applications.
Copies of documents submitted do not have to be original or certified true. However, if selected, certified documents and a completed Master’s degree in a relevant field will be required for final admission.
Deadline for applying is 15 September 2015.
For more information please visit the