Deadline: 15 May 2014
Open to: students and nonprofessional writers from around the world
Award: 10-day travel writing trip across Europe
Yes, we said road trip! Oh, those two little words that hold so many possibilities, so many unwritten stories. It’s all too easy to daydream about jaunting across Europe and chronicling your adventures on the road.
So, stop imagining, and get writing, because we want to send not one, but three budding travel writers to be mentored by a veteran Lonely Planet author and explore Europe on your own terms.
First, the 3 scholarship recipients will be flown from their countries of residence to Berlin where they will spend 2 days at our very first World Nomads Travel Writing workshop. Under the mentorship of veteran Lonely Planet author and industry mentor,Alex Leviton, you will learn how to find a great story, create solid pitches, improve your writing skills and gain a better understanding of the travel writing industry. After the workshop, each writer will be off solo on their own customised 10-day European itinerary. As part of the application, you need to tell us about the two places you would most like to write about in Europe. We’ll take these places of interest, throw in a few summer festivals and some local friends – and send you off on planes, trains and automobiles across Europe.
- This opportunity is open to students, emerging and non-professional writers and lovers of travel looking for a career change.
- The scholarship is open to all nationalities, however, you must have an exceptionally high degree of proficiency in written English.
- The opportunity is designed to give you a taste of what it’s like to be a travel writer on the road, so you must be comfortable travelling and working on your own.
- Minimum age 18 by the date the scholarship application closes (May 15, 2014)
- You need a current passport with at least six months left before expiry.
- You must be available as per the dates set out. Please note these dates are not changeable in any way, you must be available for the entire assignment.
- You should be an exceptional writer with a lust for adventure travel, a desire to experience new cultures and above all, a burning desire to become a professional travel writer!
- Three aspiring writers will win a 10-day travel writing trip across Europe.
- The winners will attend a two-day workshop in Berlin led by veteran Lonely Planet author Alex Leviton. They will then travel to multiple destinations alone and document their trips.
- Apart from the trip, the winners will also be enrolled in a MatadorU travel writing course. They will have access to the course for three months.
- The scholarships will cover airfare, accommodations and travel insurance.
Applications close May 15, 2014 at 2pm
If you want it, you’ve got to show it. To apply you need to:
1. WRITE. Craft a 2500 characters or less (this includes spaces) travel focused essay based on a personal experience around one of the following themes;
- ‘How did I end up here?’
- ‘The first time I saw…’
- ‘I’ll never forget the day that…’
It’s up to you to convince our judging panel through your writing that you have the spirit of adventure and passion for travel writing to be chosen for this scholarship. We will be looking for:
- – great descriptive ability (without getting flowery)
- – strong eye for detail
- – ability to tell a compelling and original story
- – excellent spelling and grammar and a knack for avoiding clichés
2. PLAN YOUR ITINERARY. Tell us about the 2 cities / areas in Europe you would most like to visit.
3. COMPLETE AN ENTRY FORM which includes contact details and a maximum 1200 character essay on why you should be chosen and what the opportunity will mean for you. Your answer will provide considerable weight in the judging process.
4. One entry per person. The entry must be submitted in English. Note: Once you apply, you may not go back and edit your entry. Please make sure you are completely satisfied with your essay before you submit an application.*
The 3 recipients of the Scholarship, along with the shortlist of best entries will be published on the WorldNomads.com website on June 6th, 2014.
For more information, click here.